Before calling your landlord, read over these repair tips to avoid an unnecessary call.
Problem: You don’t have power
- Have you contacted BC Hydro or your power supplier? There may be a fault in the street.
- If renting a unit/apartment – Have you checked with a neighbour?
- Have you checked your fuse box? There may have been an overload and the safety switch has been activated and needs resetting.
Problem: You don’t have hot water?
- Is your hot water tank gas or electric?
- Have you arranged for the connection of your gas or electricity?
If it is an electric hot water system:
- Have you checked the fuse in the meter box? Has someone turned off the fuse by mistake?
- Have you checked that the water tap on the hot water system itself is turned on?
If it is a gas hot water system:
- Have you checked to see if your pilot light has gone out? Some gas hot water systems can be easily relit – others may require a tradesperson.
Problem: Your lights aren’t working
- Have you checked your fuse box? If there has been an overload the safety switch may need resetting.
- Have you replaced the light bulb?
Problem: Your stove element is not working
- Have you checked the connections to make sure they are not loose or dirty? Sometimes pulling the element out and cleaning them and putting back in again can fix the problem.
Problem: Your sink is plugged
- Have you tried using some Draino to try and free the blockage?
- Have you tried pouring boiling water down the sink to free up old soap & hair?
Problem: Your washing machine is not working?
- Are the washing machine taps turned on at the wall?
- Have you checked to make sure that the appliance is turned on at the wall?
- Have you checked that the lid is closing properly?
- If the machine has stopped half way through a cycle make sure that you have not overloaded the machine or that it is out of balance – re-arrange the items evenly in the bowl.
Problem: Your dryer is not working
- Have you checked to see if the filter needs cleaning out? Dryers can automatically shut down due to overload of lint in the filter.
If you have checked everything listed here and can’t figure out what the problem is, let your landlord know as soon as possible, in writing is best as long as they’ll get the message right away.