Learn about the reasons a landlord can end your tenancy and what you can do if they are being unlawful in trying to evict you.

If you know or suspect that your landlord wants to end your tenancy, they must issue you a notice that gives a valid reason for your eviction, such as not paying rent or subleasing your unit without approval. There are different notice forms required for different situations. So if you have simply received a verbal eviction or perhaps a written letter, it is not enough. Make sure you know your rights. Here are the various forms that your landlord could give you:

10 Day Notice for Unpaid Rent or Utilities. This is pretty straight forward. Pay your rent and utilities ON TIME every time.

One Month Notice to End Tenancy For Cause or End of Employment. This is for reasons such as you have an unreasonable amount of occupants living in your rented property, you are repeatedly late on paying rent, you or someone you’ve permitted on the property has disturbed the landlord or another tenant, jeopardized the health or safety of the landlord or another tenant, or put the landlord’s property at risk… and many, many other reasons.

Two Month Notice To End Tenancy For Landlord’s Use of Property or Because The Tenant Does Not Qualify for Subsidized Rental Unit. This would be used when a landlord wants his/her rented space back to either move in themselves or rent it a close family member. This means the father, mother or child of the landlord or the landlord’s spouse – it does NOT include the brother or sister of the landlord or the brother or sister of the landlord’s spouse. The Two Month Notice also applies to evictions caused by tenants no longer qualifying for subsidized rent; a situation where you once were eligible but because your income went up you no longer are.  This part is for landlords who provide rental housing where rent is geared to income such as through BC Housing.

Four Month Notice to End Tenancy For Demolition, Renovation, Repair or Conversion of a Rental Unit. Also known as the renoviction form, there are specifics in this notice for a landlord to write down.  This used to be a common reason for a landlord to end a tenancy, and it also used to be a two month notice; however it is now much more difficult as the repairs must be so extensive that the rental unit must be vacant. Extensive means extremely extensive like stripping the unit down to the studs, not just new flooring.

One common mistake landlords make is telling you that you should look for a new place because they are planning to sell or have recently put the rented property on the market for sale. You do not have to move unless you receive a notice from either the current landlord or the new owner. It would need to be one of the above forms with a valid reason.

If you have not received any of these official notices and yet your landlord is on your case to move out, inform the landlord respectfully in writing that by law you require proper notice to move out. If you have any questions or concerns, you or your landlord can contact the Residential Tenancy Branch at 1-800-665-8779.