A Resource for
Landlords and Tenants
in British Columbia            





  Got a question?  

  Call the Residential Tenancy
  Branch - 1.800.665.8779


Home            For Landlords            For Tenants             Rent To Own             Financial Assistance             Contact




A Landlord can take action to evict you if you have failed to pay the rent, or if you have caused unreasonable damage, or have bothered (significantly interfered with) the Landlord or another Tenant.

A Landlord may also evict you if he/she or an immediate family member  wants to move in. 

If your Landlord plans to sell the unit you are renting and the new owner or the owner’s immediate family wants to move in, your tenancy may end.

If the Landlord wants to do major renovations to the degree that no one can live there while renos are taking place, and if the Landlord has the necessary building permits, he/she can also end your tenancy.

The Residential Tenancy Branch takes eviction disputes very seriously and so a Landlord must make sure he/she has legal reason to end the tenancy.

Tenants have the right to dispute a Notice to End Tenancy by applying for dispute resolution if they suspect the notice is not permitted by the Residential Tenancy Act.


If the rental property you are living in is sold and the Landlord decides to keep you on as a tenant, the new Landlord is bound by your existing rental agreement.  The new Landlord cannot make you sign a new agreement with new terms or a new rental amount.  That said, the Residential Tenancy Guide states: “To raise the rent above the permitted amount, the landlord must have either the tenant’s written agreement or an RTB order.” So for example, if you agree to pay $50 more per month in order to have new flooring installed, that is permitted.  It is always best to have these types of side agreements put it in writing.

If you have questions about eviction, phone the Residential Tenancy Office toll-free at 1-800-665-8779 or in the Lower Mainland at 604-660-1020 or Victoria at 250-387-1602.

>> More information for Tenants


'Immediate Family Members' include:

The Landlord's parent, son or daughter, or the Landlord's spouse.  

Cousins, nieces and nephews are NOT immediate family members.


Home  ۰  About Us  ۰  Disclaimer  ۰  © 2011